So I recently purchased the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition Box set. The Prestige box comes with, an XBOX 360 “Hardened Edition” of the game, the Night Vision Goggles, a head modelled on Captain John “Soap” Mactavish and an art book of the game. So I thought I’d put my two cents down on what I thought of it.
So to start I’ve taken a couple of images of the Night Vision goggles, click them to enlarge so you can have a clearer look. One thing is for sure though, this is a pretty awesome geek toy to have and is currently sitting proudly on my shelf in my room. Not only does it look great on the mohawked-out mannequin “Soap” but it performs actually a lot better than expected. I thought this may be a bit of a gimmick inclusion however they really do work.
The test I used was my en-suite inside my bedroom as after turning off the bedroom lights and closing the en-suite door, the bathroom is remarkably pitch black without even the faintest trace of a photon. It worked stunningly. As soon as you flick the on switch, the area in front of you lights up like a Christmas tree on fire. It was clear and bright enough to even read the larger lettering on shampoo bottles and other random labels around the room. What must be said is that the lens does make it a little bit hard to judge depth of field as everything is slightly magnified.
There are two dials, one on the front for focusing the camera and one on the body to adjust the eye pieces. There’s the on switch on the left which is very easy to get to and the next switch turns the image from either real time grey and white to the awesome green hue mode. The last switch turns it from what it calls “Stealth mode” to “Long Distance” mode which essentially powers down or lights up the main infra reds.
The view from within a view. Which is all powered by a battery pack that goes to the back of your head (acting as a stabiliser support type strap) and is powered by 5 AA batteries.
All in all, they’re a fantastic piece of kit, and I’d highly recommend them to anyone whose thinking of adding something cool to their shelf. Current retail price at time of posting: £119.99.