There’s simply no getting around the popularity of Facebook. The number of users based in the social networking site is quickly approaching half a billion users with thousands more flocking to the site everyday. Just through mobile usage alone, the number of users is hitting the site fly clear of 100 million users already. But as we’re all not itching to find out, how did this all start? The Social Network tells precisely this.
I’ll say it now and only now. I will watch this film. But not because I want to. I don’t believe for one second that this’ll be even a half decent film nor that it’ll keep me engrossed for the duration of the film. Fundamentally the film is about the creation of a website and that alone, sorry but I just can’t get behind it. Nobody wants to see a bunch of geeks create a website unless it’s some Michael Cera comedy written by Judd Apatow co-starring Steve Carell and a bit of boob thrown in.
So why will I end up watching it? Curiosity. Plain and simply there is no other reason for why but that I want to see how it turns out. To turn on a metaphor, it’s like watching “the shit hit the fan”, nobody wants to be there when it happens, but everyone still imagines to themselves how “the shit” would hit .. said fan.
The Social Network is due for release on 1st October 2010.